Skip to content

Trivia night, pizza party, and annual general meeting 2016

2016 November 14
by Melissa
November 18, 2016
6:00 pmto8:00 pm

Join us Friday, November 18th, 2016 at the Victoria Park Pavilion. We will have a couple of rounds of trivia (including a round just for the kids) and pizza will be available by the slice for 50 cents each. We will also have a chance to elect our board members for 2017. If you are joining us for pizza, please arrive as close to 6pm as possible so we know how many pizzas to order. We hope to see you there!

VPNA minutes – October 25th, 2016

2016 October 29
by Melissa

Attendees: Melissa, Anna, Cathy, Agnes, Anka, Frank

Regrets: Steve, David, Gillian

Chair: Melissa

Minutes: Anka

Frank:

  • VP sidewalk infill – work will start in the next few weeks. A few phases of sidewalk work will be done over the next year. More detailed maps and info can be found on the city or region website.
  • REINS meeting coming up at Rockway CC. Picking older heritage areas to build 3 storey building in these areas. The meetings are not well attended and the fear is that people may not know what this development means. Frank wants to make sure people know about it. Thursday 27 th at Rockway CC at 630-9pm. It will be planners explaining what they are doing.

City Update (Agnes):

  • Homewood parkette – capital grant from 2014. Nature play area created and little library. Almost finished.
  • Leisure magazine (new name: Active Kitchener, launches in spring 2017), Best of times (new name: Kitchener life –magazine style – stories about people area activities). Your Kitchener – will no longer exist. The 2 new publications will be distributed 4 times/year.
  • Next year is Canada’s 150 th anniversary. We want to start generating ideas for events/activities for next year.

Neighbourhood Strategy:

  • The final report will likely be completed by the end of this year. Their is a final engagement piece happening this November to seek the public’s input.

Newsletters:

  • Delivery date of Nov 8-10. Anna completed and it has been sent to print. To be brought to AGM on Nov 18.

Finance:

  • An up to date financial statement will be available at the AGM.

Little Library:

  • Nov 12 th build. Anka is scheduled to build it for us. We will need to prep it afterwards – paint, stain?

DNA updates:

  • Could use a VPNA rep or two as well to sit on board.

FoN:

  • Festival finale was Oct 16 th – we presented our sponsored award – the newcomer award – to the Prosperity neighbourhood. We also won the Safer Neighbourhood Award for our 2015 pumpkin parade. Edgewater won a $10K Grant. There is a lottery process. There is also a $20K Grant.

VPWG:

  • Meeting was Sept 29 th , 2016
  • Highlights: lots of discussion about improvements to Iron Horse Trail central section. May want to advertise corporate call centre more. Tom can provide us with small updates for our newsletters and social media if we want. There was a temporary ‘no running’ sign up near the splash pad near the end of the season as there had been a few slips and falls there.
  • Corporate call centre will be put in the newsletter.
  • Parks guy Tom will give us updates for the newsletter.

Other:

  • Nov 16, 2016 Neighborhood Summit – this is a networking meeting of neighborhood associations. Need to register for this event. Let Melissa know if you want to attend.
  • Iron Horse Trail open house: October 25 th , 6-8pm at the Pavilion, asked for feedback. All the plans will be online. More feedback will be wanted. Some suggestions put forward are a mini dog park, community garden, etc. Looking for safer road crossings where the trail meets the road.
  • Nougat (on Queen st) is moving to near Stampede Bar (Stirling ave). Could indicate that something is happening at the current Nougat site. Garage near Nougat is now open for business after being closed for some time.
  • New roles document: Are we happy with the new position descriptions? Yes. We will change president to Chair. All in agreement.

AGM:

  • Nov. 18 th , at VP pavilion, 6-8pm. Pizza party and trivia night. rych mills and Todd B on board to generate questions and emcee. Suggested having a kids round of trivia as well. Appys and drinks then pizza.Logistics for ordering pizza discussed. Charge $0.50 per slice. Get a peperoni and Veggie choice. List ingredients. Have different coloured tickets for each so that we know how much to order from each. Some crafts for kids.
  • Set up at 430 or 5 pm. Cathy will do the décor. Christmas theme.
  • We need door prizes and prizes for trivia. Any connections for prizes would be good.
  • Bring books for the library.
  • Financial report will be available. Melissa will do a chair’s update on the previous year. Elections will take place.
  • Nominations and election process was reviewed.
  • Melissa will send out the task list for that evening.

Pumpkinpalooza:

  • Takes place Nov 1 at 6:45 near the clock tower in Victoria Park.
  • Steve planning on bringing apple cider. Steve created and put some signs up around the neighborhood. Melissa will send flyers electronically so that others can print and distribute on Halloween.
  • The board game store is having a pumpkin carving night that weekend and are going to bring a few to the park.
  • Projection is that we will have a good turnout.
  • Agnes coordinated the pickup already. Agnes will not be there so Melissa will be in charge of this event. Pick up of pumpkins will be 8pm. All tealights will need to be removed before the pumpkins can be taken away.

Next meeting:

  • Jan 2017. Future meeting will take place 7-9m either Tuesdays or Thursdays TBD. Melissa will email everyone after the AGM

VPNA minutes – September 27th, 2016

2016 October 5
by Melissa

Away: David, Charlotte, Gillian

Here: Agnes, Anka, Melissa, Frank, Anna, Cathy, Steve

Welcome:  Melissa welcomed everyone and opened the meeting.

Frank: Update on sidewalks in park.  Informed that this is a priority for city council.  Boathouse moved their freezer to Water St. Anna asked for a cross walk on West Ave where the trail crosses it .

City Update (Agnes): annual affiliation agreement  for the NA was signed and submitted

Neighbourhood Strategy: Placemaking challenge event – Beach Picnic in the Park – went well, though had to postpone to Sunday from Saturday due to rain. 75 or so people attended – those who attended seemed to really love using that space, the musicians were a draw as were the activity trunk games.

Newsletters: due end of Oct. Neighbourhood strategy update. (delivery date of Nov 8-10) Include our AGM info – Nov 18 6-8 pm at the Pavilion.

 Little Library: Nov 12th build. Anka is scheduled to build it for us. We will need to prep it afterwards – paint, stain. We can bring it to the AGM for display.

DNA updates: Could use a VPNA rep or two as well to sit on board.

FoN: Do we want to sponsor the Newcomer Award? Group agreed that this would be a good idea for this year to begin with. We would provide $250 for this.

VPWG: next meeting is Sept 29th, 2016

Other:

Community Engagement session: at the Pavilion, Sept 27th 1-3pm.

 New roles/positions:  Melissa presented viable changes to board position responsibilities (attached). There was consensus to accept all the changes and a few others were offered.

AGM: Nov. 18th, 6-8pm. Pizza party and trivia night. rych mills and Todd B on board to generate questions and emcee. Suggested having a kids round of trivia as well. We will sell tickets for pizza slices ($0.50 ea) so that we know how much to order.

Pumpkin Parade: Name changed to Pumpkin Palooza -Nov 1 –Tuesday at 6:45-7:30 pm . Steve will take the lead on this event. He will create flyers that can be handed out on Halloween to inform community members of the event.  He may bring cider to share. We will meet near the Clock Tower. People can light up their Jack-O- lanterns. Once the event is over we will ask that people remove their tealights and the pumpkins will be collected for disposal by the city. Agnes will set the disposal piece up with the city.

 Summer lights movie in the park event: Sept 24th, 6pm on. There was a scavenger hunt and movie (Short Circuit). Approximately 80-100 people attended. We would like to offer 2 of these next year July and August.

 Next meeting: Oct 25 at 7PM at the DCC

 

VPNA Minutes – June 8th, 2016

2016 June 27
by Melissa

Attendees: Melissa Bowman , Agnes Das, Anka Brozic, Cathy Lumb, Charlotte Keeler, David Opper, Frank Etherington, Steve Burrows

Regrets: Cheryl Evans, Gillian Veitch

1) Welcome

2) Frank Etherington – Update

  • Iron Horse Trail – renos through the centre section of the trail may potentially start in early fall
  • Water St. sidewalks –proposal went to heritage committee; bottom of Water St. , both sides will get sidewalks. Sidewalks will also come to Jubilee Dr. where they are lacking. Frank shared a map
  • Water fountains in the park have been fixed
  • Report of Drones spotted in park and at least one instance of drone near Ornge helipad. This could lead to serious issues. Frank will look into municipal legislation around this.

3) DCC/DNA Update

  • New teal pots at the front of the centre. Plan is to plant edibles in these pots with the DLC and Senior Day program
  • Staff changes at Comm. Services dept – Agnes’ role has changed and she is now the neighborhood liaison. She will continue with VPNA.
  • Board Diversity – Agnes met with a member of the Muslim Social Services group. We can have a speaker to learn more about diversity through this group.
  • Music Therapy for Newcomers – offered by WLU student and may take place at Victoria Park
  • Neighbours Day reminder –June 11, 830-12 at the DCC gym. Anka, Charlotte, Melissa, Agnes and David confirm they will volunteer at the event. 300-400 expected

4) VPNA Update

  • Neighborhood strategy –looking for focus groups. There is a focus group manual. The VPNA could do a focus group meeting before the 2nd week in August. Focus could be visioning around roles and positions – do we need to make changes.
  • REINS – June 14, 630-830 – at the Pavilion. Meetings are being held to inform people about what changes will be coming with the new LRT. These are interactive sessions.
  • Needle dispensing units in the park washrooms. Question of are people aware of these. Some concern over this but overall seen as a positive step to provide a safe and clean way to dispose of syringes and other sharps for users in the park.

5) Next Meeting – TBD

VPNA Minutes – May 11th, 2016

2016 May 21
by Melissa

Attendees: Melissa Bowman , Agnes Das, Anka Brozic, Anna Maste, Cathy Lumb, Charlotte Keeler, David Opper, Frank Etherington

Regrets: Cheryl Evans, Gillian Veitch, Steve Burrows

1) Welcome

2) City Update – Frank

a) Recent walk around and meeting Canoeing on the Grand. There is no tendering for the canoeing service at VP but this may change next year. Canoes will be out starting May 24th and at least on weekends. May be out only on good weather days this year. There may be limited service this summer.

b) Water fountains are being repaired

c) It was reported that perhaps some duck eggs were destroyed on mud island. Geese eggs in the park are being  controlled for population. # of geese is lower this year and as per usual a number will be rounded up soon and taken to Windsor.

d) Boathouse – freezer to move closer to David St. It was slated to move in May but plan is for June now. Nicer umbrellas are on the patio.

3) DCC/DNA Update – Agnes

a) Little library grant has been approved.

b) Charlotte volunteered to be the librarian. Job description will follow.

c) 3 workshops coming up for age-friendly Kitchener exploring how friendly Kitchener is for 55+ age group and how to make it friendlier. www. Kitchener.ca/afc

d) Adult pricing for CC programs has changed, Agnes provided a brochure.

e) Volunteer night at the Apollo May 13th –tickets still available.

f) DNA looking for board members. Meetings are on the last Wednesday of the month. AGM is May 25th, 2016.

g) Neighbours Day –June 11, 9-12 at the DCC gym. Pancake breakfast. Most of us will volunteer (830-1130) for this event. Asked to collect egg cartons and bring them the day of to the event. This year we will have

· Food forest –map and info about

· Photos

· Interactive map

· Fire trucks will be there and we will provide bubbles, chalk

h) Summer Lights Festival – officially starts June 28. June 4th pre-start movie offered at 10 pm “Jumanji”.

i) September 10th – clothing swap. We will look into use of the pavilion for this.

4) VPNA Update

a) Neighborhood strategy –lots happening this summer through street teams and focus groups. We will try to organize a focus group for the VPNA to share their thoughts.

b) Recent science fair -22 families attended. Good time had by all.

c) Plant swap Sunday May 29, 2-4 pm. This is an opportunity to trade seeds, seedlings, plants etc. Location: where Jubilee turns into Park st.

d) Melissa spoke to the VPWG about the food forest, community board and small library. They had no objection and will explore if it is possible. Charlotte will apply for grants for the community board.

e) CAFKA art installation –May 28-June 26

f) Art in the Park –June. For homeschooled children. Same idea as the science fair. Melissa will look to see if their is any opportunity to partner with CAFKA on this.

g) DCC gym equipment being taken home by members of the homeschool group. Agreement form will be created so that people wanting to sign out equipment can do so. DCC/VPNA  will be able to track the equipment this way.

5) Other

a) Stormwater Management meeting –April 28 held at the pavilion. Anka attended.

· Approximately 40 people attended

· Focus of the project is to retrofit 10 existing SW facilities and build 10 new ones over the next 15 years

· Much information was shared regarding the study/review process which was started in 2014 and will be completed by end of May 2016.

· Shared long term planning document which follows the Enviromental Assessment process. Will go to council June 2016. · More info on city website https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/StormwaterMasterPlan.asp

6) Newsletter

a) Melissa will review our current delivery plan and decide if a new approach is needed before our fall delivery date.

7) Next Meeting – June 8, 2016

VPWG minutes – May 2016

2016 May 14
by Melissa

Wednesday May 11, 2016 1:00 to 3:00 p.m.

Victoria Park – Walk about

MINUTES

Present: Laura Seaman, Rych Mills, Councilor Etherington, Glennis Yantzi, Tom Margetts, Melissa Bowman, Bob Sharpe, Scott Berry and Paula Davis (Recorder)

Regrets:

Guest: Dave – Parks Coordinator

1. Security / Vandalism – Victoria Park Washroom

* Rych commented that with increased security presence that the Victoria Park washroom vandalism is on the decline. Tom working with park staff for rock or plant life behind the building.

* Can washrooms open early in the year? Current open date is April 1st. There were several days when weather was nice and the park was full, but had no washroom available. Scott had concerns with freezing pipes and winterizing procedures. Action – Scott to talk with FM about freezing and winterizing issues.

2. Review of Action Items List

* Scott reviewed the list of action items with the Working Group. The following is an update on the status of the items.

> Canoeing

* Hours of service to remain as May 24th to Sept 7th Saturday and Sunday only, weather permitting.

> Benches

> Is it possible to get more benches in the area of the clock tower, few and far between for older residents walking in the park?

> Action – Tom to check with Dan if there are any more benches

> Bike parking

> Is it possible to get more bike parking in the park or can we have portable units brought in when events held, currently people who bike to the park attach to trees and lamp posts – sometimes three and four deep.

> Action – Tom to check if we have any portable units

> Jubilee Drive entrance

– There are currently two black poles that were used to hold angels in the winter but angels have not been up for a number of years. Tom to look into who moves the poles – caution when moving due to close overhead lines. KW Hydro may have to remove poles

Music events in the park

Action – Jeff will send list of events planned in the park to Scott and this will be distributed to the group

> Forest area installed near Park St Entrance – Melissa asked what the group thought about a bench and library near/in this area. Currently very little light in this area.

>Action Tom will talk with park staff for ideas and possibilities

> Plant inventory

> Action – Tom to follow-up as parks staff should have a map later this year early next year. Staff will come to walkabout if requested to talk about plants in the park.

> People coming to the park are parking on David St – do not want to remove the parking option, but can this be better enforced.

3. Community Garden Update

* Rych raised a concern regarding the location of the two no smoking signs in the playground area. The signs should be moved closer to the playground and also two or three more signs are needed. Action: Tom advised that signs to be located in the playground area sports field area will be done once weather permits installation of mounting posts. UPDATE: Tom has passed this information along to the Supervisor of Tech Services (Playgrounds)

* Goose Control

* Joshua’s area monitors and controls the number of geese in the park. Numbers rise and decline with migration and birth rate.

Tom updated the group with the number of geese in the park and how many nests were found and relocated.

4. CAFKA Festival

* This program runs for 5 weeks, starting May 28th until June 26th

5. Victoria Park Mandate – Review

* This item was deferred to the next meeting

Next meeting: to be determined

Time: 1:00- 3:00

Jane’s Walks – this weekend (May 6-8th, 2016)

2016 May 2
by Melissa

There are a record-breaking eleven (11) Jane’s Walks in Waterloo this weekend, plus another 17 in Kitchener and three in Cambridge.

All are inspired by Jane Jacobs, an urbanist and activist whose writings inspired a fresh, community-based approach to city building.

Jane Jacobs would have been 100 years old on Wednesday May 4, 2016. On the weekend closest to her birthday, community volunteers lead walks to help others discover their cities.

 

So many to choose from! And choose you must, because many are offered at the same, or overlapping times.

If you’re interested in planning or neighbourhood development issues, here are some you might consider: * Fri May 6 5 p.m. “The Need for Small Blocks and Aged Buildings” – a look at Waterloo’s intensification plans through Jane Jacobs’ eyes. * Sat May 7 10 a.m. The Changing Face of Northdale – how is the 2012 plan working? * Sat. May 7 9 a.m. A Walk Along Waterloo Park’s Central Promenade – planning for Waterloo Park, LRT and Station Areas * Sat. May 7 11 a.m. Re-meet Your Park – community planning the future of Kitchener’s Vanier Park neighbourhood * Sat. May 7 11 a.m. Civic District: Past, Present & Future – focus on place making

If you’re interested in heritage and history, you have a great many choices: * Sat. May 7 1 p.m. Waterloo’s First Neighbourhood – led by Tricia Siemens * Sat. May 7 2 p.m. Memories of the Old ‘Hood – led by Sue Enns * Sat. May 7 3 p.m. Secrets of Amos Weber; the Beechwood “Garden City” suburb – led by Karen Buschert * Sun. May 8 1:30 p.m. Waterloo: From Grist to Infinity & Beyond – led by Doug Mulholland * Sun. May 8 3:30 p..m. Waterloo Park’s West Side natural heritage – led by Sharon Woodley

* Fri. May 6 12 noon & 2:30 p.m. Rock around Kitchener – led by Peter Russell * Sat. May 7 11 a.m. Kitchener: Then and Now – led by Tim Willcox * Sat May 7 11 a.m. Kitchener’s Civic District: Past, Present and Future – led by James Howe * Sat May 7 11 a.m. and Sun May 8 2 p.m. Past and Present of Rockway Gardens – led by Catherine Owens, * Sat May 7 1:30 p.m. Mount Hope Cemetery: from “Berlin” to “Kitchener” – led by Wayne Miedema * Sun May 8 9:30 a.m. Along Breithaupt St: our historic factories and new development – led by Lane Burman and Ted Parkinson * Sun May 8 1 p.m. Berlin’s Civic History – led by Todd Bowman * Sun May 8 2 p.m. Walking in our own shoes: Rumpel Felt Company – led by Sarah Granskou & Sarah Marsh

* Sat. May 7 1 p.m. Stories of growing up in Cambridge’ s West Galt – led by Jim Griffin * Sat. May 7 2 p.m. History, Architecture and People of Preston led by Amy Barnes

If you have a creative, artistic bent, here are some to consider: * Sat May 7 11 a.m. Found in Waterloo – graffiti and found art in Uptown Waterloo * Sat May 7 11 a.m. Kitchener: Then and Now – photographic comparison of past and present * Sat May 7 11 a.m. Fairy Walk along Brubacher Street – using art to build community * Sat May 7 1 p.m. Contemporary Art in Kitchener’s Core – public art and place making * Sun May 8 2 p.m. Walking in our own shoes: Rumpel Felt – introduction to felt making

If you are interested in nature and natural history, check out these walks: * Fri May 6 12 noon & 2:30 p.m. Rock around Kitchener – a tour of Kitchener’s geological history * Sat May 7 10 a.m. Uptown North along Laurel Creek – what is the value of natural elements and green space to urban environments? * Sat May 7 10 a.m. Edible Forest Heights – edible trails, permaculture, pollinator fedges, community gardens * Sat May 7 10 a.m. River Bluff Park, Galt – walk along the Grand with author David Menary * Sun May 8 3:30 p.m. Waterloo Park’s West Side – walk in our green oasis in the middle of the city

Consider these two very kid-friendly Jane’s Walks: * Sat May 7 11 a.m. Fairy Walk along Brubacher Street – find the fairy doors that have popped up along the street * Sun May 8 2 p.m. Kids Take Over Jane’s Walk – 5-year-old Johanna introduces us to her neighbourhood park

If you like cycling, there are two Jane’s Rides in Waterloo Region this year: * Sat. May 7 10 a.m. Waterloo – Bike Friendly Community – ride from Conestoga Mall to Waterloo City Hall with active transportation advocate Diane Freeman * Sun May 8 2:30 p.m. Explore the Spur Line Trail between Uptown Waterloo and Downtown Kitchener

If you like coffee, consider these walks * Sat May 7 9 a.m. Downtown Kitchener Coffee Walk – explore some great “third places” ; bring a reusable mug * Sun May 8 2:30 p.m. Explore the Spur Line Trail – with a coffee roastery at one end and a bicycle cafe at the other

* Many other walks may well end up in a coffee shop, or pub

— Information originally shared by Kae Elgie, City of Waterloo Jane’s Walk organizer

See janeswalk.org for more information.

VPNA minutes – April 13th, 2016

2016 May 1
by Melissa

Attendees: Melissa Bowman , Agnes Das, Anka Brozic, Anna Maste, Gillian Veitch, Cathy Lumb, Charlotte Keeler, David Opper

Regrets: Cheryl Evans, Eduardo Cejudo , Steve Burrows, Frank Etherington

Minutes

Welcome/Introductions

City Update:

a) Fire Drill at DCC – reviewed by team

b) May 13 – Volunteer appreciation day. An event is happening at the Apollo theatre in Kitchener. Still 8 tickets left.

c) Earth day – plan to do a park clean up on Saturday April 23rd., 10-12. Tents and tables available. rych, of the Victoria Park Working Group, is helping out.

DCC/DNA Update:

a) Neighbor Day is June 11/16 – at the DCC there will be chalk and bubbles for the kids, pancake breakfast, fire truck, interactive map etc. Parking for this event – best to use the Duke parking lot, DCC will have passes for free parking there just check in at DCC reception to pick one up.

b) April 19+26 at 9:30 Sexual Assault Centre staff will facilitate 2 Healthy Relationships workshops, in partnership with Extend-a-Family and VPNA.

c) Drumming program – 11 people attending

d) Art therapy session will be running this spring

e) 2 planters at front of the building – Charlotte will get seedlings for at the end of May

f) Science Fair – geared to home schoolers or those young enough to not go to school

g) May 28 – Dance for families Update: date change for this, now planning for the Fall

h) Neighborhood Bylaw guide was distributed

VPNA Update:

a) Food Forest (at the foot of Park st and Jubillee) – could a music garden or Zen garden go in that space as well? Can we also put a playscape or small library there? Info about the FF could be left at the Welcoming Centre. It could be highlighted during Neighbor Day.

b) Signage in the park is sorely missing i.e way finding as well as area-of-interest signs. Needs to be addressed. There are small grants that can be accessed in order to support this. Charlotte K will look into it.

Projects and Committees:

a) Clothing /House Goods Swap – VPNA could do one in Summer and Winter. Two hours in duration at either the Pavillion or DCC. Whatever is left over is donated. Potential date for this event -September 10/16. TBC.

b) CAFKA event May 28-June 26 will include 5 installations in and around the park this year

c) Dogs off leash –there is no off-leash space for dogs/owners in the core. Suggestion was made that we have an off leash park or area designated.

d) Neighborhood strategy- April 26 is the launch party. 450 attending. The event is sold out.

Newsletter:

a) Delivery of the newsletter – 1300 need to be delivered quarterly. No one overseeing this currently. There are 20 drop off spots. Fall will be the next time they need to be delivered. VPNA members are willing to divide the work and help as able.

New Business

Next Meeting:

May 11, 2016

Victoria Park Working Group Meeting – March 2016

2016 April 7
by Melissa

MINUTES

Present: Laura Seaman, Rych Mills, Councilor Etherington, Glennis Yantzi, Tom Margetts, Melissa Bowman, Bob Sharpe, Scott Berry and Paula Davis (Recorder)

Regrets:

Guests: Joshua Shea, Natural Area Coordinator; Gloria MacNeil, Interim Director Bylaw Enforcement; Eric Rumble, Executive Assistant PT – Economic Development; Jeff Young, Manager Special Events

1. Security / Vandalism – Victoria Park Washroom

* Scott Berry welcomed everyone to the meeting and advised that he will be the interim chair of the VPWG group. Introductions were made around the table.

* Rych commented that the Victoria Park washroom and issues with security and vandalism has been on the Working Group’s agenda ever since the washroom was built.

* Rych would like to see signs up for hours the washroom is open to the public

* As a first step it was decided to keep 2 benches in the vicinity of the washroom – this is done. To relocate 5 or 6 benches to areas along the park pathway in the Commons area.

* Can comfort station washrooms open early in the year? Current open date is April 1st. There were several days when weather was nice and the park was full, but had no washroom available. Scott had concerns with freezing pipes and winterizing procedures. Action – Scott to talk with FM about freezing and winterizing issues.

2. Review of Action Items List

* Scott reviewed the list of action items with the Working Group. The following is an update on the status of the items.

Ø Pergola

– Tom advised that his section will be removing the boards, storing them and then have them re-installed in the fall. UPDATE: the plan is in place to have the boards removed when the weather improves.

Ø Jeff Y said lighting in the pergola will be repaired and LED lights installed.

Ø Boathouse

* Signage does not appear to be approved signage for the park

* Trailer that is there has now had the wheels removed. Is this a permanent structure now?

> Sand Play

– Design & Development staff will be starting the design of the sand play this winter with construction occurring in 2016. The final location of the sand play is not finalized at this point in time, but most likely will be located closer to the existing playground areas providing a larger separation between the sand and splashpad areas.

> Canoeing

* Tom advised he will follow-up with Canoeing on the Grand closer to spring regarding the canoeing operation and storage of the canoes.

> Clock Tower & Band Stand Electrical Outlets

* Tom advised he would be following up with Special Events and FM regarding an internal process for the turning on and off of the electrical for booked events.

> It was noted that there is a bylaw that prohibits loud amplified music on the Island and that Special Events staff needs to be aware of this bylaw.

Only amplified music currently allowed is the Christmas Fantasy which is run by the COK, Lions, Kiwanis and KW Hydro Action – Jeff will send list of events planned in the park to Scott and this will be distributed to the group

> Frank noted that the island is not a leash free area and that more should be done to control the number of people who walk their dogs off leashes in the park

> Any noise complaint within the park should be directed to Police who in turn will working with City Bylaw section to resolve the issue

> Trees damaged in the park from the ice storm. Action – Tom to follow-up and to see if trees believed not survivable to be replaced with same kind. Tom to follow-up with staff to see if there is a plant inventory for the park and to bring for next meeting when we walk about the park.

3. Community Garden Update

* Rych raised a concern regarding the location of the two no smoking signs in the playground area. The signs should be moved closer to the playground and also two or three more signs are needed. Action: Tom advised that signs to be located in the playground area sports field area will be done once weather permits installation of mounting posts. UPDATE: Tom has passed this information along to the Supervisor of Tech Services (Playgrounds)

* Concern was expressed that there is rust on the railings/slats of the heritage bridge. Tom has passed it along to the Supervisor of Tech Services.

* Goose Control

* Joshua’s area monitors and controls the number of geese in the park. Numbers rise and decline with migration and birth rate.

* 2015 saw 49 nests with 220 eggs

* There will be one swan in the park this year, 2017 we hope to see two

4. CAFKA Festival

* Eric Rumble joined the meeting to discuss the CAFKA festival program

* The program runs for 5 weeks, starting May 28th until June 26th

* Option 1 Phone booth

* Option 2 Debris Hut

* Option 3 Synanthrops

* Option 4 Loose large knot

* Option 5 Collection of broken and damaged elements relating to statues and public monuments

5. Victoria Park Mandate – Review

* This item was deferred to the next meeting

Next meeting: Meet at Clock Tower date to be determined

Time: 1:00- 3:00

Drumming Class at the DCC! Click for details.

2016 March 9
by Melissa
Animated Social Media Icons Powered by Acurax Wordpress Development Company
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter