Skip to content

VPNA Meeting Minutes – October 10, 2017

2017 October 14
by Melissa
Welcome
Councilor updates: Frank away. Updates on Nougat development; Jubilee crossing; Iron Horse Trail upgrades – delayed as there were no bids – will be retendered this Winter; house on West Ave – has been torn down now; Kitchener Heritage discussion re: Queen houses.
City updates: FoN finale – who can attend? Anna and Steve will attend. Nov 19/17. Agnes has connected with a resident at Linden Terrace and they are having conversations about possible playground improvements to that area. Agnes will keep us informed as needed.
Finance: Sent in a cheque to FoN for our sponsorship of the newcomer award.
Newsletters: We should send the newsletter to Agnes by Oct 20th. Ideas: Update neighbours on NAP; Save the date for a family day event; highlight DCC programming; updates from Frank on Iron Horse or community gardens; highlight the food forest and possible upcoming improvements such as signage and edging.
Little Library: Can be part of our placemaking grant application to the City along with a bench, community info board, anything else? Not this year as we will instead focus on developing a crossing over West Ave at Homewood.
Programming: no report
DNA: no report
VPWG: Still waiting to hear back from City staff about letter sent regarding the path between David St and the Boathouse. Update from Oct 2/17 – the path has been (mostly) paved. There is a section towards David St that has not been – perhaps it was deemed in a condition that did not require paving?
NAP: How do we proceed about the donated tree? Josh (NDO) will be attending the next NAP meeting to help us figure out next steps for the NAP. Melissa has connected with Brock Street neighbours group – some may be interested in joining NAP team as well.
Food Forest: Good news: Kitchener Post did an article on the City’s NAP process and used the VPNA’s work as an example of this process. Bad news: Within the same week, 2 of the 3 guilds in the Food Forest were cut down by a City staff person worried about certain plants possibly being harmful to others such as stinging nettle. Melissa, Charlotte, and Agnes have been in conversation with City staff in response to this situation.
Events: Pumpkinpalooza Nov 1st

·         We need some hot chocolate and apple cider (and cups – though we still have some leftover from last year that Melissa can bring as well). Erin will follow up on this – Cathy may have a connection at Williams worth pursuing.

·         We need some more battery-operated tealights – Erin to purchase.

·         Erin has a small card table she will bring that evening for the hot drinks.

·         Melissa will start posting to social media about this event and the AGM.

·         Steve will work on flyers and deliver some to the pumpkin farms. We will also make some so people can hand them out Halloween night. We will also print off AGM flyers to hand out that night as well.

·         We discussed whether to place pumpkins on clock tower or the commons area. It can be crowded around the clock tower but that can also often encourage conversations with neighbours. The clock tower can provide a good photo op as well. We will section off part of the clock tower steps for the pumpkins and as that fills up we can extend it over towards the commons area.

·         Agnes will arrange for pumpkin disposal with pick up right at the clock tower.

AGM Nov 3rd

·         We will do another trivia and pizza night for the agm this year. Pizza slices are 50 cents a slice and we will order veggie, pepperoni, and deluxe options. We will use a tally sheet to know what types of pizzas to order. The AGM will be 6-8pm.

·         Anna will do a Costco run for appetizers, snacks and drinks such as veggies and dip, chips, and juice boxes.

·         Agnes will let us know if there is a sock or pajama drive happening at that time that we can also collect for.

·         Agnes will see if Fabienne is willing to run the elections.

·         Todd and rych are willing to lead the trivia again this year.

·         Let’s highlight the NAP and seek feedback/engagement.

·         Let’s provide something on the tables for the kids as well – Melissa will bring ‘love my hood’ books and crayons.

·         Melissa will send out a task list and people can sign up for their tasks that way.

·         Anna would like to move into a member-at-large role, leaving the role of newsletter editor open to anyone interested.

·         We need to get some prizes for the trivia as well: Boathouse? rych? FourAll? Family Day event

Feb 19th – Yes, we will plan for an event that Monday.

Miscellaneous: Follow up on last month’s guest speaker from Community Support Connections.
Information for future meetings:
Adjournment
Print Friendly
One Response leave one →
  1. Gail Pool permalink
    October 15, 2017

    Re: demolition of houses next to Schneider Haus

    I encourage people in the Victoria Park area to attend council on Monday October 16. There will be one delegation from the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario North Waterloo Branch, which is dedicated to the conservation of historic houses. There are many reasons to oppose the demotion, not the least of which is putting at risk the Victoria Park Heritage Conservation District.

    Gail Pool

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Social Media Icons Powered by Acurax Web Development Company
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter