Skip to content

VPNA Meeting Minutes – Sept 12, 2017

2017 September 15
by Melissa
Welcome
Guest speaker: Meals on Wheels, now known as Community Support Connections, update from Yessenia Torres: Yessenia provided handouts and gave some information about all of the different programs and services that are available. They are in need of volunteers. Groups can even take on a delivery route to share. Please pass along that information as appropriate. The VPNA Facebook now follows them on Facebook so we can more easily share some of this information as well. Might there be an option here to connect through their HomeHelp program with our Snow Angel plans? Cathy may have more to add as she is a longtime volunteer with the organization.
Councilor updates: There is a meeting at the Pavilion about the upcoming Nougat development. Frank will provide more details soon. The crossing of Jubilee should be installed soon. Frank is concerned about its location with vehicles turning. Frank will look into why there is a delay with upgrades to the Iron Horse Trail and report back to us. Frank is also trying to find out why the house on West Ave still has not been cleaned up. Region has approved demolition of the 2 houses on Queen Street but it now needs to go to Kitchener Heritage for discussion.
City updates: FoN finale is Nov 19th. Brock street is celebrating the completion of their capital grant projects on Oct 1st. Melissa will write a congratulatory letter to them on behalf of the VPNA.
Newsletters: ideas for Winter newsletter? Update neighbours about NAP progress. Possible Save the Date for a Family Day event. Highlight some of the programming at the DCC. Have Frank write something about Iron Horse Trail upgrades or community gardens. Highlight the Food Forest and possible upcoming improvements such as signage. Should get the newsletter to Agnes by Oct 20th.
Little Library: Any new location suggestions? Need to consider accessibility; winter clearance; likelihood of vandalism. Melissa has asked that the City comes up with a short-list of possible locations that they deem appropriate and we can select from there. Agnes will follow up.
Programming: Updates re: DLC scheduling; DNA programs; Melissa followed up with Melissa Y re: possible ASD drop-in.
VPWG: letter sent regarding poor state of the pathway at David toward the Boathouse. Frank will follow up on this as we have not heard back from anyone as of yet.
NAP: we held our street party Sept 2nd from 12-3pm at the Henry Sturm Greenway. We highlighted our NAP options by: using the shed as a temporary community message board; using chalk on the Iron Horse to create potential crosswalk designs; creating bird feeders to highlight bird/tree initiatives; tree giveaway to highlight the food forest and urban tree initiative; storyboards to highlight historical signage. Discuss options for applying for Placemaking grant. Our tree winner has donated the tree back to the neighbourhood association. We now need to decide what to do with it. Can we plant it in the Henry Sturm area at all? How do we go about this? If not, might we be able to use the donation next year at our plant swap perhaps? If we go this route, we will need to have a discussion with Benjamin Tree Farm since they are the donors. Next NAP meeting is scheduled for Oct 4th from 5-7pm.
Food Forest: Follow up and decide on ideas put forth already, see attached chart. VPNA wants to focus on signage and also possibly ensuring that the food forest gets included on Jane’s Walks. There was also some discussion about the other elements we want to include in that area such as a community board, bench, library, etc. Do we do this in one fell swoop or in tiny steps?
Events: Overdose Awareness Day Aug 27th 12-2pm – Went well. They trained over 100 people.; Pumpkinpalooza Nov 1st – Erin is willing to lead this. We may want to get flyers out to neighbours as the newsletters will not be out by then. We could also advertise the AGM as it is only 2 days later.; AGM Nov 3rd. Do we want to run a Family Day event this year?
Information for future meetings: Have Josh from the NDO join us?
Adjournment
Print Friendly
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Social Media Icons Powered by Acurax Website Redesign Experts
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter