Skip to content

VPNA Minutes – March 7, 2017

2017 March 15
by Melissa

In attendance:

Melissa Bowman, Chair | Anka Brozic, Secretary | Charlotte Keeler, Program Coordinator| Steve Burrows, Event Coordinator | Patrick Gilbride, DNA Liaison | Erin Toner, Member-at-large | Rebekah Haynes, Member-at-large |

Time Item Owner
7:00 Welcome Melissa
7:05 Councilor updates: Frank is away this meeting Frank
7:15 City updates: Neighborhood Strategy update – the plan has gone to council. The roll out will happen quickly. The neighbourhood matching grant has been tripled. 3 themes – connected people, working together and great spaces – action plan proposals will be needed i.e. for the theme of working together each neighborhood can do a vision of what that would mean in their neighborhood and create an associated action plan. The goal is to create improvements to our neighborhood. Community consultations will happen. This could include other agencies and businesses in our neighborhood. Grants are open ended. We can apply once/yr. 2017 we will work on an action plan. There will eventually be a Neighborhood website where neighborhoods are linked and we can share ideas.

Neighbors day- June 10th, 2017. We will do activities outside, not inside. The DCC will offer a pancake breakfast. Firefighters may be here. It will run 9-12.

Programming update – new idea – cooking club for kids. This would be mainly for the home school community but it could be opened up to anyone. It would be cooking experiences for children 8+ yrs. Lots of support for this idea from parents. Charlotte would run it. This would run at the DCC (not co-op) for lunch or maybe 3:30-5 pm for dinner. There could be partnerships with Queen St Commons and the seniors day program. This could start very soon. Charlotte will explore opportunities at DCC for space to run this. This could run monthly or bi-weekly.

AT the last meeting, Steve (guest speaker) spoke about incorporation. We are likely too small to need to incorporate. VPNA is not going to do the kung fu classes but DNA may do it and the thought is that DNA may want to incorporate and we and other neighborhood associations could be covered under them.

Agnes
 

 

8:00

 

8:15

Presentation: Jessica from Bridges to Belonging presented a program that supports people with developmental disabilities to find appropriate housing.

VPNA is considering a boundary expansion as there are areas around our neighborhood boundaries that have no neighborhood associations. Melissa will connect with other bordering neighborhood associations to see if there are any conflicts. Check in with BIA to see why certain areas are not linked to a neighborhood association.

Events:

Earth Day– April 22 at 10am interested people can meet at the gallery to pick up their garbage bags. Provide advertisements at this event regarding our upcoming events.

Plant swap will happen on May 27.  At the plant swap we can show case the little library, and advertise regarding stay tuned for more event info for Canada 150 events and Neighbours Day – June 10.

David St- street painting-this is something that may be presented to us at some point;

Sneaky cards– Melissa will drop a few off or provide at next meeting.

April 7 – There will be a Ceili dance at DCC Parish hall 630-9pm – everyone welcome.

 

 

Melissa

8:30 Publicity: newsletters; social media plan(see Cathy’s email); mail chimp
Other:
8:35 Information for future meetings: RIENS; Little Library; Kung Fu Melissa
8:45 Adjournment Melissa

Next Meeting is April 4 at DCC 7-9PM

Print Friendly
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Animated Social Media Icons Powered by Acurax Wordpress Development Company
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter