Skip to content

VPNA minutes – October 25th, 2016

2016 October 29
by Melissa

Attendees: Melissa, Anna, Cathy, Agnes, Anka, Frank

Regrets: Steve, David, Gillian

Chair: Melissa

Minutes: Anka

Frank:

  • VP sidewalk infill – work will start in the next few weeks. A few phases of sidewalk work will be done over the next year. More detailed maps and info can be found on the city or region website.
  • REINS meeting coming up at Rockway CC. Picking older heritage areas to build 3 storey building in these areas. The meetings are not well attended and the fear is that people may not know what this development means. Frank wants to make sure people know about it. Thursday 27 th at Rockway CC at 630-9pm. It will be planners explaining what they are doing.

City Update (Agnes):

  • Homewood parkette – capital grant from 2014. Nature play area created and little library. Almost finished.
  • Leisure magazine (new name: Active Kitchener, launches in spring 2017), Best of times (new name: Kitchener life –magazine style – stories about people area activities). Your Kitchener – will no longer exist. The 2 new publications will be distributed 4 times/year.
  • Next year is Canada’s 150 th anniversary. We want to start generating ideas for events/activities for next year.

Neighbourhood Strategy:

  • The final report will likely be completed by the end of this year. Their is a final engagement piece happening this November to seek the public’s input.

Newsletters:

  • Delivery date of Nov 8-10. Anna completed and it has been sent to print. To be brought to AGM on Nov 18.

Finance:

  • An up to date financial statement will be available at the AGM.

Little Library:

  • Nov 12 th build. Anka is scheduled to build it for us. We will need to prep it afterwards – paint, stain?

DNA updates:

  • Could use a VPNA rep or two as well to sit on board.

FoN:

  • Festival finale was Oct 16 th – we presented our sponsored award – the newcomer award – to the Prosperity neighbourhood. We also won the Safer Neighbourhood Award for our 2015 pumpkin parade. Edgewater won a $10K Grant. There is a lottery process. There is also a $20K Grant.

VPWG:

  • Meeting was Sept 29 th , 2016
  • Highlights: lots of discussion about improvements to Iron Horse Trail central section. May want to advertise corporate call centre more. Tom can provide us with small updates for our newsletters and social media if we want. There was a temporary ‘no running’ sign up near the splash pad near the end of the season as there had been a few slips and falls there.
  • Corporate call centre will be put in the newsletter.
  • Parks guy Tom will give us updates for the newsletter.

Other:

  • Nov 16, 2016 Neighborhood Summit – this is a networking meeting of neighborhood associations. Need to register for this event. Let Melissa know if you want to attend.
  • Iron Horse Trail open house: October 25 th , 6-8pm at the Pavilion, asked for feedback. All the plans will be online. More feedback will be wanted. Some suggestions put forward are a mini dog park, community garden, etc. Looking for safer road crossings where the trail meets the road.
  • Nougat (on Queen st) is moving to near Stampede Bar (Stirling ave). Could indicate that something is happening at the current Nougat site. Garage near Nougat is now open for business after being closed for some time.
  • New roles document: Are we happy with the new position descriptions? Yes. We will change president to Chair. All in agreement.

AGM:

  • Nov. 18 th , at VP pavilion, 6-8pm. Pizza party and trivia night. rych mills and Todd B on board to generate questions and emcee. Suggested having a kids round of trivia as well. Appys and drinks then pizza.Logistics for ordering pizza discussed. Charge $0.50 per slice. Get a peperoni and Veggie choice. List ingredients. Have different coloured tickets for each so that we know how much to order from each. Some crafts for kids.
  • Set up at 430 or 5 pm. Cathy will do the décor. Christmas theme.
  • We need door prizes and prizes for trivia. Any connections for prizes would be good.
  • Bring books for the library.
  • Financial report will be available. Melissa will do a chair’s update on the previous year. Elections will take place.
  • Nominations and election process was reviewed.
  • Melissa will send out the task list for that evening.

Pumpkinpalooza:

  • Takes place Nov 1 at 6:45 near the clock tower in Victoria Park.
  • Steve planning on bringing apple cider. Steve created and put some signs up around the neighborhood. Melissa will send flyers electronically so that others can print and distribute on Halloween.
  • The board game store is having a pumpkin carving night that weekend and are going to bring a few to the park.
  • Projection is that we will have a good turnout.
  • Agnes coordinated the pickup already. Agnes will not be there so Melissa will be in charge of this event. Pick up of pumpkins will be 8pm. All tealights will need to be removed before the pumpkins can be taken away.

Next meeting:

  • Jan 2017. Future meeting will take place 7-9m either Tuesdays or Thursdays TBD. Melissa will email everyone after the AGM
Print Friendly
No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Note: You can use basic XHTML in your comments. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to this comment feed via RSS

Floating Social Media Icons Powered by Acurax Blog Designing Company
Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Twitter